[wmii] wmii features

From: sawyer x <xsawyerx_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 12:04:02 +0300

Hey

First of all, I gotta say I'm really enjoying wmii.

I've been using KDE, GNOME, Fluxbox and occasionally Ion3.
A while ago I had some trouble with my GNU/Linux upgrade and GNOME became
unusable so I decided to try wmii again. After a day or two , the updates
kicked into the repository and I fixed GNOME but when I got back to it, it
was just too frustrating so I comfortably moved back to wmii.
After getting an additional screen at work, it was too easy to configure
another column and resize it to each screen so now everything is going
great.

Anywho, I have a few questions about wmii:

- Can I edit something or script anything to get the screen to divide
equally at half instead of 60/40 ratio every time I open a new application
and move it to another column?
- Whenever there's something on zero layer (the "floating" layer), it
obstructs everything in the background and becomes "always on". Very
difficult to handle. Any advice?
- Perhaps relating to the previous comment, sometimes I run windows but I
want them minimized. Any plans for this?
- I know that showcasing other window managers is not a good practice ("why
can't you do what they did?!" kind of stupid behavior) .. BUT.. in Ion3
there's a nice idea of a scratchpad. You press a various META+key and it
opens a floating workspace in which you can put a media player or something
like that, that you want to access instantly from everywhere and then never
see it until you need it. It was very useful.
- Any way to toggle between the existing workspaces without META+tag? like a
"next" or "previous" thing? like META + "<" or META + ">" or whatever.

Now, I just want to say, I'm not being disrespectful in anything. Just
wondering about possibilities. I currently moved my computer at work
to wmiicompletely and it's the most enjoyable and productive
experience I've had
yet with *nix. So, if anything, this letter should mainly be a "thank you"
email, and then a few questions :)

Thanks,
and have a great day.

S.