Re: [dev] interested in issue tracker dev

From: Paul Onyschuk <blink_AT_bojary.koba.pl>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:45:48 +0100

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 14:07:09 +0000
Stephen Paul Weber wrote:

> While I agree that adding custom headers is likely to be a pain and
> make users come up with hacks, some headers are very well
> standardized. Most notably In-Reply-To and Message-ID. IMHO, and
> "id" for the bug should be the Message-ID of the original email, and
> any "comments" should be In-Reply-To said email. That way you can
> just reply to a bug from your email client and it works. Just like a
> mailing list :)

Valid email message must contain at least the following entries in
header [1] [2]:

- From
- Date
- Message-ID
- (only for reply msg) In-Reply-To

"Subject" is not required by specifications, but in practice
it is a standard. Anyway that means you'll get at least 4 lines
overhead for first message and 5 lines header for replies. Removing
that can lead to weird behavior.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.6
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.6.4