Re: [dev] [dwm] tagging interface

From: Wolf Tivy <wtivy1_AT_my.bcit.ca>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 16:32:18 -0700

> Yeah, I just wasn't so keen on having to hold down each number when
> selecting tags, so I tried to alter it so you could do something like
> so:
>
> KeyDown: Modkey
> KeyPress: 1
> KeyPress: 2
> KeyUp: Modkey
>
> to select 1 | 2, obviously, rather than
>
> KeyDown: Modkey
> KeyDown: 1
> KeyDown: 2
> KeyUp: Modkey, 1, 2
>
> So I tried to get dwm to set combo to 0 when _just_ modkey is
> released.Haven't had any success so far though, the event isn't
> coming through;
> I've tried various XGrabKey combinations, for example with
> Mod4Mask as
> the keycode or as the modifier (and both), but to no avail.
>
> If you've any advice, I'd be all ears.
> Cheers,
> Rob.

Interesting idea. That could be cool, I don't know how to do it right now and I'm getting
swamped pretty hard by homework, so I can't figure it out either. This would also solve
the key repeats because then repeat tag keys wouldn't derail the combo. I'd love to see
the results.

I don't find it awkward at all, but I use asdf instead of 123456789, which makes
tagging much nicer I find. I also just hit the combo at maximum speed without any regard for
order (except to hit alt first). The asdf lets me use my thumb folded under my hand to hit
the alt while my fingers get the tag keys. I can't reach the numbers like that, so I can see it
might be awkward if you use the numbers. This is probably why I didn't think of that.

Good luck!