Re: [dev] Suckless paint/graphic editor program

From: LM <lmemsm_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 17:12:09 -0400

On Thu, Jul 6, 2023 at 3:36 PM <fossy_AT_dnmx.org> wrote:
> That's too much options to check out for me, but a console-based option
> (to me
> that sounds like not needing X11? Because ideally that's what I'd want.. I
> want
> to get rid of a Window manager and in the future use something like dvtm)

I've been investigating options that don't require X11 as well. I've
only seen two Linux distributions that were able to pull off running
in framebuffer without X, nanolinux which uses nanoX and Rogue Class
Linux. There are more distributions like GRML and INX but they're
mainly console mode only and don't do much with graphics or the
framebuffer. Unfortunately, development on both nanolinux and Rogue
Class Linux systems are no longer active. However, they have some
interesting choices for applications. SDL applications will run in
framebuffer or kmsdrm mode. So you can read documents using bard or
sdlbook without X. If you haven't checked it out,
http://litcave.rudi.ir/ has some great framebuffer programs. I use a
fork of pdftxt (command line program) from there. Also, I've been
experimenting with using netbsd-curses from Sabotage Linux instead of
ncurses.

Last I checked, framebuffer applications ran great from the command
line, but I don't think they played nice with console window managers.
Was rather disappointed in that and I keep looking for other
alternatives. I even investigated some unusual ideas like using sixel
(there's a fork of SDL to output sixel) with a sixel aware console.
Then you could probably use a console window manager like dvtm or mtm.
However, I think it's too slow to be practical. I have a small and
slowly growing list of console and command line programs that I can
use to replace some of the common tasks I do. Always in search of
other interesting and useful alternatives. This mailing list has had
some great program suggestions posted to it. Sites like K.Mandla's
Inconsolation blog are nice resources too. I believe there are some
tty screen capture programs listed there too if you need one.