Re: [wmii] sh flame with Uriel

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 09:57:33 +0100

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 02:47:07AM +0100, Uriel wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure most users have the gnu utilities installed anyway.
> > If they don't, they're probably running LFS or something, but those
> > are edge cases. In this regard I agree 100% with Anselm. If
> > plan9port was more 'standard' on Linux systems
> If you haven't noticed, there are more operating systems than Linux, most of
> which don't include GNU utilities by default (and the ones that do are
> trying to get rid of that crap as soon as possible.)

This statement only applies to Plan 9, which wmii is not
developed for. The scripts we are using work well with BSD and
GNU userland. All other exotic Unices I consider as edge cases I
don't care about. If someone wants to run wmii on SCO or HPUX
and it doesn't work, then he will need to patch the scripts
maybe or to install the GNU or BSD userland. But we never
noticed such issues in the past, so that's why I call it a myth
that it is impossible to write portable sh scripts. It is possible,
unless you don't use any bloaty GNU features.

And, for hardcore users: you even need NO script at all if
wmiiwm only is sufficient.

> > non-issue, but as it stands, requiring some 20-40MB chunk of binaries
> > just so I can run a "lightweight" window manager is missing the point,
> > I think.
> Before making such completely baseless comments and pulling random
> numbers out of thin air, please inform yourself of what this
> discussion is about.

That proves once again, that in the case you have no arguments,
you wether ignore the discussion or you begin to offend. Please
improve your discussion skills Uriel!

> And thanks to everyone else that commented about tabs in this thread
> for showing once more lusers have no clue what is good for them or for
> anyone.

That will convince all users who doubt that stacking sucks less,
I think.

> If we had listened to lusers, wmii would still be the hideous
> abomination that wmi was, and probably much worse by now.

Agreed.

> "Alles Grosse und Gescheite existiert in der Minoritaet. Es ist nie daran zu
> denken, dass die Vernunft populaer werde. Leidenschaft und Gefuehle moegen
> populaer werden, aber die Vernunft wird immer nur im Besitze einzelner
> Vorzueglicher sein."

Yes, and you Uriel are the only Vorzueglicher here.

Regards,