[wmii] tagging suggestions

From: John Nowak <john_AT_johnnowak.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 05:04:48 -0400

So much of what I'd like wmii to be depends on the upcoming tagbars
functionality.

I'd like to see something like this:
meta-1 through meta-9 -- shows all windows with that tag
ctrl-meta-1 through control meta-9 -- adds tag N to the selected window
shift-meta-1 through shift-meta-9 -- removes tag N from the selected
window

The key commands used with 0 have special meanings:
meta-0 -- shows all windows with no tags
ctrl-meta-0 -- assigns the selected window ALL tags (*)
shift-meta-0 -- removes ALL selected tags from a window (relegating
it to meta-0)

Also, the frame/window should not disappear or move until it loses
focus. For example, I could select it, remove all tags, add three
other tags, then switch to a different window -- only then would the
tag changes take effect. This lets me change a few things without
stuff jumping all over, and lets me undo something if I screw up. It
also takes care of the "what window gets focus when I remove this
window from this tag-screen" problem, as you change focus deliberately.

I personally think names for tags are very silly, and a waste of
time. I'd like to see it all happen without any text entry... just
straight key commands as above. Remembering that 0 is web apps, 1 is
games, 2 is vi, etc, is probably the easiest thing I have to keep in
my head with running a *nix system. My usage patterns change
constantly, making names even more silly. A overview window that
shoes all 10 tag screens and which windows are in which would be
fantastic.

If this is already the plan, please ignore me. I haven't had the time
to track recent developments lately. I'm quite sure the meta-0
business is not in the cards, but I like this for simplicity of it.
Comments? I'm rather in love with these suggestions actually.

- john