Re: [wmii] Too much autocompletion in wmiimenu

From: Anthony Martin <ality_AT_pbrane.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:24:41 -0700

Chris Foster <foster_AT_physics.uq.edu.au> once said:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 06:27:05PM -0700, Anthony Martin wrote:
> > Just add a space after whatever you're entering in the menu. So instead
> > of just "1", type "1 " and it will only return "1".
>
> Actually, this is still not perfect, as now you get a tag '1 ' rather
> than '1' when using the $MODKEY-Shift-t shortcut in the default wmiirc.
>
> We _could_ do the fix in wmiirc (using the shell or sed to strip the
> whitespace), but that feels rather like a workaround for inconsistent
> wmiimenu behaviour. After all, arbitrary strings which are *not*
> substrings of the wmiimenu stdin may be returned - why not arbitrary
> substrings as well?

Yes, that's true. I forgot to add that i have the following in my
wmiirc:

$MODKEY-Shift-t)
        xwrite /view/sel/sel/tags "`wmiir read /tags | wmiimenu | sed \

That strips the whitespace as needed but yes I agree about having
arbitrary substrings returned. The <Tab> key is all that's needed to
output the full currently selected string in wmiimenu so my stand is
this: whatever is shown on the left side in the menu (the output) is
_exactly_ what should be returned.

regards,
  ality

--
"The right to be left alone is indeed the beginning of all freedom."