Re: [wmii] Inferno/Styx - why wmii is in C and is part of the Anti-Matrix

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 11:10:02 +0200

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 10:19:35AM +0200, Uriel wrote:
> I have no time to read your rant, but if you can't appreciate the
> beauty of LISP (and specially scheme), I feel very sorry for you.
> Scheme and C are probably the two most perfect programming languages
> ever created, even if their perfections are opposed to each other.

I agree that the linguistic objections with Scheme-alike langs
can't be dismissed at all, they are one of the reasons that such
langs weren't very successful for the general purpose.

However there are applications in which such langs are without any
competitors. And the author ignores the fact, that Scheme-alike
langs behave like a stack machine, just they are direct
representations of a special kind of computer (though an
abstract computer, which cannot be compared with von
Neumann-like architectures).

But I cannot imagine an abstract Object-Model-like computer.

> The only way to acquire real knowledge is by being extremely critical
> _and_ open to all ideas, no matter where they come from. LISP and C

I'll remember this statement by you, especially the 'extremely
open' ;)

> And The Matrix is one of the worst movies of all times, empty special
> effects pretending to be philosophy, how pathetic, how low have we
> gone.

I can agree, I don't like the movie(s), but the idea is quite
interesting, however reading Freud will present much more
insights and much more strange ideas of what you believe to
'know' and who you believe to 'be', if there is any 'being' at
all...