Re: [wmii] wmii bug ?

From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jeremy_AT_jeremyms.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 12:20:37 -0400

arnuld <geek.arnuld_AT_gmail.com> writes:

> i use wmii-3.5.1 in Arch Linux. some times while wmii is running, it
> stops takiing any actions from keyboard, i mean, it does not take any
> action no matter what keys i press but in the end i can use
> "C-M-backspace" to kill X and start again, eveni can do "C-M-F2" to go
> to another virtual terminal but wmii itself does behaves as if
> keyboard is not present, though i can move the mouse without any
> problem.

Does this happen when there are not any windows visible in the selected
view?

I believe this problem may be due to the X keyboard input focus getting
set to None, possibly by a non-ICCCM-conforming program like Mozilla in
conjunction with certain plugins setting it to revert to None, and then
when the window that had focus is destroyed or unmapped, the focus
reverts to None. The solution is for WMII to set the input focus back
to the root window in certain cases.

You can test if this is indeed the solution by:

When it happens again, use gdb program <pid of wmii> to attach gdb to
wmii. Then use XSetInputFocus to set the input focus back to the root
window, and see if this fixes the problem.

I believe that if this is the problem, then somehow triggering a change
in the selected view, such as by clicking on a view name in your
statusbar, if you have programmed it to work, should also make the
keyboard work again.

--
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard