Re: [wmii] libixp/fs.c: wstat?

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 21:39:56 -0500

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 03:23:04AM +0100, Michael Stapelberg wrote:
>However, I've noticed three problems:
>1) libixp does not check whether wstat is actually provided by the server. The
> attached patch fixes it. I'm not so sure if this is done right, but at
> least there is no more segfault when trying to write "toggle fullscreen" to
> /client/sel/ctl (I know, it should be "Fullscreen toggle", but use it as a
> test case).

You're right, libixp should certainly not try to call methods
that aren't implemented. But, you haven't attached a patch.

>2) wmii does not implement wstat, ergo writing to meta files (/ctl) does not
> work on my computer (while writing to /rbar works), because echo cannot
> truncate the file.

It really should implement wstat, but it just cheats and
truncates on writes.

>3) When writing "Fullscreen toggle" to /client/sel/ctl, something (probably
> 9pfs) produces a hard-lockup (sound freezes, X11 freezes, nothing possible
> no more, just reboot). This may be related to 2). I'm not sure how to
> further debug this.

I don't know how wmii could cause this. It could certainly
freeze X11, and so probably any badly written audio player
(e.g., xmms), but certainly not lock up your computer. Can you
ssh in? Are you using 9pfs? That *could* certainly lock up your
computer, but it shouldn't.

--
Kris Maglione
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by